In Honor of Rev. Thaddeus L. Chapman, MD
The Chapman Foundation Scholarship was established in 2017 in memory of the life and legacy of Rev. Thaddeus Chapman, MD (May 17, 1963 – April 16, 2017). Dr. Chapman was a loving husband, father, minister, physician and friend to many. He was known for his warm and caring demeanor and selfless quest to fulfill his purpose in life as ordained by God. He walked in faith and always looked to God to define his path.
He was a dedicated member of the Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church, Atlanta, GA. He served in multiple ministry groups including being a Sunday school teacher (notably for the Berean Class and the Men in Vision class), Male Usher ministry and advisor to Nurses ministry. He was licensed and ordained into the ministry at Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church.
All of those who knew Dr. Chapman knew which things he was passionate about: God, his church, his family, Albany State College, his fraternity and his family. He valued relationships and believed in treating everyone with love and respect. He valued education and opportunity. He sought to be a blessing to everyone who came along his path and viewed meeting new people as an opportunity to spread the good news about Jesus Christ!
Recipients should embody the spirit of the five key principles that he believed in Academic Excellence, Tenacity, Thirst for God, Love for People and Giving Back is an expectation for everyone.This $1,000 scholarship will reward the various components of excellence that Dr. Chapman demonstrated during his lifetime. Dr. Chapman felt that tenacity was very important. It is important not to become discouraged during the educational process. Therefore, any recipient who maintains at least a 3.0 GPA during the first year of college and maintains contact with the foundation, will receive an additional $500 award during the 2ndacademic year.
- Students majoring in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) will receive priority. However, the award is open to all students.
- GPA of 3.2 or above
- Be a member of the Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church
- Participation in extra-curricular activities is encouraged but not required
- Participation in a ministry activity at church is recommended but not required
- Write a 2-3 page essay “describing how you feel you embody the spirit of this scholarship and how you envision integrating Christian principles that you have learned as you prepare to be a college student”. Also, include at least one of the key principles valued by Dr. Chapman and how you envision integrating this principle in your life as a college student. (typed and double- spaced)
Scholarship Award: $1500.00